Galeão International Airport – Credit: Agência Estado

1951

At an auction, Sebastião Camargo successfully bids for a stone quarry in Cumbica, municipal district of Guarulhos (SP). Fourteen years later, the business was to result in Reago, merged with Construtora Camargo Corrêa in 2006.

1952

On August 1, Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa is installed in Edifício Altino Arantes, the head office of Banco do Estado de São Paulo in the heart of downtown São Paulo (SP).

Camargo Corrêa is one of the contractors in work on one of the country’s major highways: the Fernão Dias (BR-381), which links São Paulo to Belo Horizonte. From September 1952 through to November 1957, the company is responsible for the earth moving and paving of 40 kilometers, on the Guaripocaba, Jundiaizinho and Atibaia stretches and the access road to Bragança Paulista.

1953

Hired by Campo Grande city government, Camargo Corrêa paves roads and avenues in that city, which 26 years later, was to become the capital of the state of Mato Grosso do Sul.

From February 1953 to August 1954, Camargo Corrêa carries out the earthmoving work for the new runway at Galeão Airport in Rio de Janeiro (RJ).

Imobiliária e Colonizadora Camargo Corrêa e Ribeiro S.A. begins building a city in the far west of the state of São Paulo. With the name of Rosana, in honor of one of Sebastião Camargo’s daughters, State Law 6,645 grants the urban settlement municipal status on January 9 1990.

1955

Camargo Corrêa makes its debut as a dam builder at the construction sites of the Euclides da Cunha Hydroelectric Power Plant in São José do Rio Pardo, in the west of the state of São Paulo. From May 1955 through to the same month in 1965, the company is responsible for surface excavations and the construction of the earth dam and the spillway at the hydroelectric plant, which has an installed capacity of 94,800 kW.

Camargo Corrêa buys Companhia Auxiliar de Viações e Obras – Cavo, founded in 1921 in Rio de Janeiro by British entrepreneurs.

1957

Brasília begins to become a reality. Camargo Corrêa is contracted by Novacap – the company responsible for managing the construction of the new federal capital – to execute the earthmoving, surfacing of roads and avenues and constructing the link between the Eixo Residencial Sul and the airport. The work takes from July 1957 to March 1963.

1959

With the major expansion in its activities, in March 1959, Camargo Corrêa begins the building of its own offices and workshops in Guarulhos in Greater São Paulo. The new installations are ready by July 1961 with an area of 12,000 m2.

Between May and December, a new construction project is completed in Brasília: the Paranoá dam. In the same year, at the request of President Juscelino Kubitschek, Sebastião Camargo begins work on the Moinho de Trigo Jauense (a flour mill) for supplying the future capital.