Sebastião Camargo, 1930s - Credit: CDMCC Archive

1909

In Jaú on September 25, Sebastião Camargo is born, son of Francisco Ferraz de Camargo and Anna Claudina Carvalho Ferraz.

1926

Sebastião Camargo begins his professional career by carrying sand in mule-drawn carts for the construction of roads in the interior of the state São Paulo. He works as an employee for the brothers, Urbino and Sinésio Sampaio Góes, later becoming a subcontractor.

1936

The partnership between Sebastião Camargo and Sylvio Corrêa begins. The two contractors open a small office in Rua Barão de Paranapiacaba, downtown São Paulo.

1939

On March 27, Camargo, Corrêa & Cia. Ltda. – Engenheiros e Construtores officially begins to work as a building constructor. With a capital of 200 ‘contos de réis’ and headquarters in Rua Xavier de Toledo, downtown São Paulo, the company’s partners are Sebastião Ferraz de Camargo Penteado, Sylvio Brand Corrêa and Mauro Marcondes Calasans.

1940

Camargo Corrêa gets its first major contract from the São Paulo Highways Department (DER-SP): the earthmoving work of a12-kilometer stretch of the Banhado Grande–Mina da Pescaria–Mina do Espírito Santo road in Apiaí (SP). The company acquires its first tractor in order to undertake the work, which is completed between March 1940 and August 1941.

1942

Companhia Carbonífera de Cambuí engages the services of Camargo Corrêa to excavate 15,000 m3 of tunnel at its mines in Cambuí (PR). The work takes from September 1942 to April 1943.

1943

Camargo Corrêa makes its debut in the airport infrastructure sector. It is hired by the Air Force Ministry to undertake earth moving and paving of the runways and taxiing areas at the Santos Air Base in Guarujá (SP). In July of the following year, the mission is complete.

1944

The Air Force Ministry entrusts further work to Camargo Corrêa: the expansion and surfacing of the Campo de Marte Airport runway, in the northern district of the city of São Paulo (SP). Begun in February of 1944, the work is completed by October 1945.

From February to December, Camargo Corrêa is one of the contractors hired to build the Via Anchieta (SP-148) highway, the project, which makes the expansion of the Santos city region and Brazilian foreign trade a reality.

The company is responsible for earthmoving and paving of three kilometers in the mountain section of the highway.

1946

On September 25, Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa S.A., is incorporated as successor company to Camargo Corrêa & Cia. Ltda. – Engenheiros e Construtores. The minutes with the corporate denomination and purpose of the new company are published in the Official Gazette of the State of São Paulo on November 19.

1947

A contract signed with Cia. Paulista de Estradas de Ferro marks Camargo Corrêa’s debut in the railway sector. From February 1947 through August 1948, the company executes civil construction work on a 38-kilometer stretch of the Tupã–Adamantina Railway.

1948

With the founding of Companhia Jauense de Fiação S.A. in May, Camargo Corrêa diversifies into manufacturing.

browse timeline

next date